Jim's Last Visit to Turkey

 

 May 19, 2022

Jim’s last visit to Turkey

I was counting the days until Jim’s visit in April during my spring break.  He was bringing brother, Kenny, Aunt Theresa and cousin Tina.  I was planning their stay day by day:  Turkish breakfast on the Bosporus, two days of guided tour in the old city, Taksim Square, Galata Tower, Tulip Festival, places to eat, a food tour.  I was planning this also to be my last good look at Istanbul before I leave in June. 

Then I developed an infection, cellulitis, in my leg and ended up in the hospital for over half their visit! 

I was glad I made a plan for most of their days and Jim proved a good Istanbul guide.  I think this is his 5th visit to Istanbul.  Every day I would WhatsApp video with them to find out about their adventures. I finally made it home with a few more days of their visit remaining, but I did not have the strength to tour with them.  We actually rented a wheelchair so I could go out to dinner with them one night.  Jim stayed 4 more weeks after my visitors left.

While in Istanbul, Jim got to see most of my good ENKA friends.  Talie had us over for a drink one day after school. We had a beautiful dinner with Suzanne and her boyfriend Semih one night at a rooftop restaurant where we discovered “smoked bourbon.” It is a delicious drink!  Literally, it is poured out of a bottle filled with smoke. We enjoyed Nepalese food with my dear Simon on night.  Jim helped me host a dinner party before Mert and Emily’s wedding!

If Jim hadn’t come, I still may be writhing in pain when I put on my shoes each morning.  I kept thinking I could wait until I got home to Kentucky to find out what was wrong with me.  But, I could see Jim was worried. I was taking so much ibuprofen and still in such misery.  Because of his insistence, I saw the doctors who helped me discover I had rheumatoid arthritis. (see previous blog)  Jim helped me get prescriptions I needed.  He made a chart of what I was to take and when.  He helped me navigate my way back to a healthy state.  What a golden guy he is.  None better.  

Finally, during Jim’s visit we were able to go to Kaş.  When Ramadan ends there is a period of celebration called Bayram.   School was out for three days.  I planned a short holiday trip for Jim and I to the Mediterranean town of Kaş, on the southeast coast of Turkey.  My plan was to get a room and just look at the sea for three days.  This is what we did and it was perfect.  I was still using my cane for support and just starting my medications.  We only walked as far as the little town square to get something to eat each night.  The Panoramic Restaurant.  We went there two nights!  Their roasted lamb one night and grilled rockfish on another proved to be our favorite meals. 

When Jim left Istanbul May 9, I had about 50 days left.  Now I have about 40.  I’m not counting the days before I leave Istanbul – that is going to be bittersweet – but I am counting days until I’m with Jim again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious White Slip of Paper & Angels at the Airport

Turkish Students and On Line Teaching

Farewell ENKA teachers