What I want to remember of Turkey

 

What I want to remember of Istanbul.

*The cold chills I get when hear the call to prayer.  Especially in the early morning when I am still in bed

*The way the fruit is displayed by small grocery stores.  Especially the pomegranates opened to show their red beads.

*My favorite Turkish expressions

        Kolay gelsin – may your work be easy

        Meraba – Hello

        Günadın – good morning

        Gürü shürü – good bye

        Maalesef – unfortunately

        Öğretman – teacher

*How awful, yet how rewarding, to learn the technology to teach students online during  the COVID pandemic

* Students starting every inquiry with: “Can I ask you a question?”

* Questions asked as an American:  Are you afraid in America?  Do you own a gun?   But also comments like: I want to go live in America with you!

*The miracle of the Metro transportation to Taksim Square, Galata, The Grand Bazaar, Sishane

*Turkish coffee and Çay

*Juniper Café, its owner, Mustafa and his little Yorkie, Josephine, who visited all the tables while customers at their meals.

*Food delivered every night to my door!  I only had to use the Yemeksepeti app (which I could never pronounce) and food -  or Starbucks  - would arrive!

*Looking at the 3rd Bosporus Bridge and the Black Sea each morning.

*Living on the 22nd Floor of a high rise apartment building.  When it snowed, it felt like I was in a snow globe.

*The FANTASTIC Turkish health care system.  A torn meniscus and diagnosis for rheumatoid arthritis all treated at possibly a quarter of the price as America – even with insurance.  I had outstanding doctors.

*Rooftop restaurants – Balkon,  Galaktion/Georgian , Terrace 41 , Los Altos…and others, names already lost.

*The view from Galata tower.  The Golden Horn harbor and the ancient city beyond – the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Topkapi Palace

*Sunset Bosporus cruises with Sinan – I think I took 5 altogether with my visitors who came to see me and Istanbul.

*Tours outside of Istanbul: Cappadocia, Antalya, Kas, Ephesus, Athens - arranged by Elif from Sojourn travel.   

I feel I have been living in a dream when I think of these, but there are a few aspects of living in Istanbul I will be glad to leave behind.

*Taksi – the Turkish word for taxi.  In general I had friendly, very good drivers. I spoke enough Turkish to say “hello” “thank you”  “right”  “left” and “stop”  But the anxiety I experienced, especially if I had to hail a taxi to go home, or when I had a doctor’s appointment.  I could always arrange one easily to take me, but not necessary to return.   I am looking forward to going into the garage, where my car awaits and I control the transportation.

*Not speaking the language – I am responsible for not learning Turkish better.  Why? Because most people spoke enough English for me to get by.  At school everyone with whom I worked, spoke English.  I took Turkish lessons for a few months, but I did not relish the homework and difficulty.  And my workload at ENKA was so heavy that first year.  I gave it up. 

*Banking  - I was designated to one branch – in Yenikoy – not far from school, but not walkable!  It was open only until 5:00 and we got out of school at 5:00.  Not open on the weekends.  Fridays we were allowed to leave at 3:30.  This was the only time I could make it.  I did not have to go often, but when I had to replace my debit card – twice – it was a necessity.

*Turkish Airlines – Great when traveling and there are not problems.  Have a problem? Then you have a horrendous problem because their customer service is horrendous.

So I’m taking my final risk with Turkish Airline on June 28.  Headed home, to my garage, my house, my husband and family and retirement.  

Blog may change as I think of other Turkish delights!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious White Slip of Paper & Angels at the Airport

Turkish Students and On Line Teaching

Farewell ENKA teachers