Catch-up, Covid and C-149

First a bit of catch-up.

 The past two months I shared Istanbul with Jim, my son Eric, his wife Jade, my daughter Maggie and her husband Ross.   They inspired others to come along.  Eric and Jade were joined by best friends Sam and Amy, their best man and maid of honor, who now live in Seattle.  And Maggie and Ross spent a memorable day with Ross's brother Drew and his wife Naz, who made Istanbul a stopping point on their European trip.  I also returned home for time with family - my mother-in-law, Elsie, brothers, sisters, my best friend Jenny, former colleagues and neighbors.  I flew to Kansas to see my granddaughter, Elsie, her mom and my daughter Pamela, her husband Kevin.  All this from July 1 - August 21.  Many blogs exist in those weeks and I hope to get to some.

August 29, 2021

 I began this Blog as a record of my experiences in Turkey during the years 2020 - 2022.  Covid 19 has made the experience unique to say the least, but I have not regretted a moment. 

I’m currently preparing for my next year teaching in Turkey.  I have a classroom – C149 – and I have already taught one class face-to-face! Officially school begins September 1 in Turkey, but Enka traditionally has 11th and 12th grade students start early.  (My guess is because these are the all-important pre-university years.) Therefore, even though this week is “SITE” week, or teacher preparation week, I am also teaching.  

It was a great to see and meet my brood of Grade 11 MEB (an acronym for a Turkish phrase which at Enka means any student not in IB!)  students in person on Wednesday.  All university bound.  All vaccinated!  And all masked. 

Wednesday afternoon I shared a ride home with Nurcan, my Head of Department, and four other teachers.  It was hot.  We sat in traffic.  Thursday morning one of those teachers tested positive for Covid.  And, yes, she has been vaccinated.  I was sent home immediately, along with a brood of English teachers!   Friday, I taught my brood of MEB students on line. 

Disheartened is the best word to describe how I felt as a sat down at my computer to prepare my lesson to introduce The Kite Runner as an online lesson, not in person.  I do not think I have Covid.  I have no symptoms.  Yet, I cannot return to school until I test negative.  And, I cannot test until Tuesday.   The thought occurs that this could be a harder year than last year.  Educators everywhere are trying to get back to normal - - and as much as we want to experience “normal” again, the world is just are not there. This Pandemic is a tough foe and not yet conquered.  Jimp on the roller coaster that will be the school year 2021-2022!

I had plans for this weekend.  Swimming with Emily, my “Zimbabwe daughter.”   Drinks with friends.  A trip to Istinye Park Mall.  Not happening.  Yesterday I masked up and walked to the Office Supply store close to my apartment and bought a few items to use to decorate my classroom.  I am still hopeful for some normal time with students – to interact face-to-face in room C149.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious White Slip of Paper & Angels at the Airport

Turkish Students and On Line Teaching

Farewell ENKA teachers