The word is WAIT.

 I am going to Istanbul!  I am going to teach IB Language and Literature at Enka School Istanbul!  I am going to rent an apartment and a car in Istanbul!  I am going to have a bank account in Istanbul!  I am going to walk along the Bosporus and eat Turkish Delight in Istanbul!  I am.  But, I must wait.  

The Coronavirus, Covid-19, has not made this easy.  With government offices closed, getting the necessary paperwork through the approval process has been a challenge.  Four weeks ago I stood in the Turkish Consulate in Chicago, turning in the last of what the Turkish government required to grant me a work visa.  I was told "four to six weeks."  

Tomorrow, August 17, 2020, I actually begin my new job as English teacher at Enka School Istanbul.  But, I will begin at a desk in the "Harry Potter" room in my house in Lexington, Kentucky.  I will attend a welcome session at 2:00 AM,  followed by an Analysis and Action Plan session for IB Diploma Program at 6:30 AM.  (Turkey is 7 hours ahead of Eastern Time Zone)  

This is not how I envisioned my first days at Enka. But, these are exceptional times. Worldwide pandemic times.  I will  wait for the UPS truck all week, and maybe next, to bring me that visa.  My bags are packed and I am going to put on my mask and protective goggles and GO!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious White Slip of Paper & Angels at the Airport

Turkish Students and On Line Teaching

Farewell ENKA teachers