Bidets, Marvelous


A couple of weeks ago I played cards – Euchre – with some colleagues: Talie and Zara from England, Nurcan originally from Australia, but living in Istanbul many years, and their friend, Meghan who is from Ohio. Being practically neighbors in America, I immediately felt a kinship with Meghan.

 After returning from the restroom I looked at my fellow American and asked a question I’d been holding in since I got to Istanbul: Why doesn’t America have bidets in all their toilets? They are fabulous. Meghan laughed, as did the rest of the table, and nodded enthusiastically, wholeheartedly agreeing.  Finally, I was comfortable having a conversation about bidets.  A topic I wanted to have since arriving in Turkey. 

I do not know when and where bidets came about, but I’d like to have a conversation with the American plumber who decided not to put them in every American home when indoor commodes were first installed!  I have yet to be in a restroom anywhere in Turkey (with the exception of a squat toilet in the Metro – I’ll get to that) where I couldn’t put my arm down to knob on the wall just below the commode tank, turn it, and get a cleansing stream of water.  It is so sensible.  Less toilet paper is used, which means fewer clogs.  I feel, well, cleaner after a restroom visit. 

Wake up America!  Bidets shouldn’t be a “luxury” found in high priced hotels.  They should be as common as the toilet lid.   I have been in tiny restrooms, in tiny restaurants in Istanbul, and there is always a fresh squirt of cleansing water available.  How civilized.

Before coming to Turkey I heard flushing toilet paper was not allowed.  That is not true of any place I’ve been.  Toilet paper is flushed, just less of it because - you know - bidets.  Nurcan told me in some old homes where the plumbing is ancient, it may not be safe to flush the paper and there are always waste receptacles, but it’s rare.  

I read about squat toilets before coming to Turkey.  So far I only faced two.  Surprisingly, the first was at the airport when I had just arrived in Istanbul. After a long flight, I hurried into the first restroom.  It was crowded and I took the first available stall.  To my amazement, in this huge modern airport, it was a squat toilet like I’d read about on line.  I had no choice but assume the position and relieve myself.  All went well.  That wasn’t so bad!  The next encounter was in the Metro weeks later.  I was desperate and ducked into the area where a sign pointed to the “Tuvalet.” I was met with a turnstile requiring 1 lire to enter.  Okay.  Then I was met with a squat toilet.  Okay.  I managed again.   I should mention there is water available to “flush,” and toilet paper to clean, so no worries.

Adventures in answering nature’s call!  Not a problem in Turkey.  And those bidets…Marvelous!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious White Slip of Paper & Angels at the Airport

Turkish Students and On Line Teaching

Farewell ENKA teachers