Trials and Tribulations of Traveling back to Turkey

 Today I am whining and shedding a few tears.  I've been through an ordeal.  I must go back to January 30th to explain.  On this day, I was fortunate to get my first Covid-vaccine - Pfizer.  When I returned home to Kentucky for Winter Break, Enka School Istanbul offered an extension to teacher stays if we had the opportunity for a vaccination in order to get the 2nd dose. Since I qualified as a teacher, Jim secured  an appointment for my first vaccine on January 30. I went to the University of Kentucky vaccination center with teaching contract in hand and got my first dose.  Hurray!

I changed my return flight to Istanbul to February 19 and secured my second vaccine to take place on February 17.  I prepared to teach Turkish students online from Kentucky for a week.  This is not small feat, because I am not a "night person." To teach students in Istanbul from Kentucky my teaching day begins at 12:00 midnight!  But, for a vaccine, I could weather this nighttime storm.  

February 17 I got my second shot.  I'm vaccinated!!  The Covid fear now diminished.  On my way home, I got my valued Covid vaccination card laminated, knowing I would soon be flashing it around. I was sky high when I pulled into the Urgent Treatment Center to get my Negative Covid Test so I'd be allowed to board my fight back to Istanbul.

 Let me stop here to explain.  I know many of you haven't been out of your neighborhood the past year because of the pandemic.  A negative Covid test is required to board an airplane.  The general rule is you must have the negative test within 72 hours of  your trip.  However, it differs country to country.  My colleague, Sergio, was flying to his home country, Costa Rica, for winter break.  He and I got our Covid tests together in Istanbul.  To his surprise, he was refused boarding in Istanbul.  You see, he was transferring in the Netherlands, and his test did not meet their time frame.  Luckily, Istanbul airport has a rapid test center and he was able to get another test, barely making his flight.  But, he made it.  I was not so lucky.

The rapid test I took at Urgent Care came back POSITIVE.  Positive?  I was dumbfounded.  Impossible.  Jim and I had not left home in 10 days - there was an ice storm in Lexington and we were not even tempted. Plus, I had the vaccine.  I got a phone shrug from the Urgent Care provider, but I was told I could return the next day for another.test.  Now, Jim was panicked.  Did he have Covid?  He is not eligible for vaccination.  We made appointments to be tested the next morning.

Urgent Care does a wonderful  job reminding you of appointments.  Jim and I got at least 2 reminder text.  What Urgent Care is not great at are notices of closing.  We arrived to an empty Urgent Care at our appointment times.  Waited.  Wondered aloud.  Tried to make phone calls.  Only got recordings with opportunities to make appointments.  Nothing about why this location, which had an "Open 9 to 9" neon sign at its door, was closed, or if it was going to open at any time today. Yes, it snowed that night.  Jim and I were not thrilled about wandering around in unplowed parking lots.  But, I was leaving the next day and needed a negative Covid test!  All I had was a doubtful positive.  

After checking on line, we made an appointment at another Urgent Care further from home.  And, yes, I got a negative Covid test.  Ross, my son-in-law doctor, says it's one of those rare false positives. So.  I'm back on track.  If only...

Jim and I park at the Bluegrass Airport talking about when we would see one another again. I was mentally preparing myself to part from him and endure the unknowns of airline travel.  Up to the United check-in desk I go confident in all I possessed to be on my way, back to my adventure teaching in Istabul.  But wait.  The very nice man with United gold badge is telling me I can't board. Why?  Why ?  Why? I have  everything.  Passport.  Visa for Turkey,  Kentucky Real ID.  And --- the wrong kind of Covid Test!!!

What??  The antigen test is not accepted by Turkey?  It has to be a PCR test?  To me a Covid test is a Covid test. I needes a PCR test, which is NOT a Rapid Test.  I laid my head on the desk, willing myself not to scream and cry.  Thank goodness Jim decided to walk in with me or I would have lost it.  But, I waited until I was in the parking lot to stomp and shout profanities.  

I think the worst part was I felt so prepared.  I work at being prepared.  And in the end, I missed the type of Covid test I needed.  I should have read closeley that text I got from United asking if I was "Ready to Travel," because way down the text there it was - a PCR test is required to board.  In the end, it will be okay.  My Department Head, Nurcan, is a marvel at handling near catastrophes.  I called her first.  Would she rather I teach from home next week and travel on the weekend so she would not have to get substututes for my classes for a day of travel?  I couldn't decide what to do.  Nurcan checked with the high school principal and called me right back.  They would rather I travel on the weekend and not require "covers," as they call substitues in Turkey.  "The kids would rather have you than a substitue."  Nurcan always says the right words.  

So.  As much as I am not a night person, I will be spending the nighttime with my wonderful Turkish students next week, getting a PCR Covid test and hopefully boarding for my return trip to Turkey NEXT Friday.  

,

Comments

  1. I'll be on a covid-tested flight on my way back to the states, but faced the same fears coming to Italy in January. I'm paranoid I'll be turned away, so I'll be isolating the 10 days before I leave AND getting tests before I get to the airport and as I get on the flights.

    I hope you're still in Turkey in June!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Precious White Slip of Paper & Angels at the Airport

Turkish Students and On Line Teaching

Farewell ENKA teachers