Alp's Ear

      I must say I am glad I didn't miss the online teaching practices going on in Covid World  - as much as it pains me that I can't meet my students face-to-face.  Teachers are using their creativity and problem solving skills to do (mostly) what they have always done in the classroom, albeit sitting in a chair and looking at the squares of faces on the screen.  I have learned much.

     To begin, I learned how to use Google Meet.  I learned to split my screen in order to show students a power point I've prepared, while still seeing them.  I learned to give on line quizzes...an utter fail at Google Sheets quiz, but an on line platform called Quizizz works well.  I learned (this week) I can create a google doc, share with students, and we can collect "tone vocabulary words" or write a paper together as a class.  My biggest challenge this week was giving a "listening quiz" - an assessment required if you teach a foreign language, which now I am! I bask in the glory of each achievement - but only for a second, because there's a new one waiting for me.

    How are the students doing during on-line learning?  Here, in Turkey, they are performing admirably.  At 11:50 or 8:30, no matter what time class begins, they are there!  I was 4 minutes late yesterday to my 9th grade class (talking to another American teacher about how to vote in Turkey and lost track of time) and they were all there waiting for me as I breathlessly sung my apologies. I believe I have not had more than 2 students absent for any class... and that may be because of a tennis tournament.  For the most part, homework is completed.  Enka School uses an online system created by IB called Managebac.  Students upload work and I grade from there as well.  All on line.

     Possibly the only issue with students is turning on their cameras! An administrator put out an email this week saying the "adaptation" period is over and students must turn on their cameras.  This administrator went on to tell teachers if students do not comply, then focus on the students who are engaged.  Wow!  I'd never hear that from an American administrator.  How much time have I spent on student who would not "comply" to classroom rules or engage in a lesson?   The majority of my students do cooperate.  I just have to ask - "Please turn on your cameras."  It's the same 3-4 students who will not turn them on.  For those of you who are not teachers, understand when a student comes to a class meeting - a square box with an icon and their name shows up.  If they do not have their camera on to show themselves, they can go have a nap or play a video game and the teacher wouldn't know.  Therefore, we are to turn our attentions to those who want to participate.

   And then there's Alp's ear.  Some students choose to show just a part of their face - mostly the top of their head.  Alp - yes a Turkish name - shows only the side of his head, tilted just so I can see his ear.  I laugh about it.  And I told him I was going to title a blog "Alp's ear" and so I have!

     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious White Slip of Paper & Angels at the Airport

Turkish Students and On Line Teaching

Farewell ENKA teachers