Test, Practice Test, Repeat

 Teaching in Turkey is becoming one of the biggest teaching challenges I've ever experienced.  And I have had my share.  I've had students call me a "bitch."   I had a parent call and complain because I told a student I was "disappointed" in their work. I shifted curriculums.  Learned how to teach in the International Baccalaureate Program. Studied new works of literature, new ways of writing, and learned how to teach these to students.   I have had mountains of grading to do and given up "sick days" to get it done.  I've had misunderstandings with administrators.  I've broken down.  

This isn't the challenge I'm speaking to.  I'm in a foreign country.  I wanted to experience another country from the inside out.  And I am.  For the most part, the experience has been exactly as I wanted.  But, this week when I questioned a practice in the school, I was told "welcome to private school in Turkey."  Reality set in.  I am no longer in an American school.  I must accept the culture shift in the classroom, as well as in everyday living. 

American parents and teachers lament we  test children too much.  Phfft! You have no idea.  The testing and classroom work that goes into preparing students for testing in Turkey is beyond compare. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around it all, even after 7 weeks.  

Since I am teaching in the IB program, and teach 12th grade, I face a barrage of testing, and testing preparation.  In September, 12th grade took a Forecast Exam ... written Paper 1, as in IB Testing.    The grade goes toward a Performance Grade for the class and into a "formula" to calculate their potential, their "forecast," for IB and (I think) for university acceptances too.  What comes after the testing, is a tense time of grading the tests, and not just my own students.  There's moderation.  This is a good practice mind you.  Teachers exchange a couple of student papers, mark them, then come back together to compare and discuss marks. It's a "calibration," so we are marking similarly.   When I thought I was finished, and breathing a sigh of relief,  I was handed more to score because two marks were required for students applying to Cambridge and Oxford.  Anyone who knows me, knows I work hard.  Obsessive. Compulsive.  A work-a-holic. I work more hours than most to hide my weaknesses. No need to psychoanalyze.  I know this about myself.  I am a slow reader, a slow scorer.  Grading 10 paper took me most of a Saturday. I thought I was finished.   I was handed more. My lack of confidence started to kick in.  I panicked.  

That same afternoon, I discovered  I was not conducting my 11th grade IB class correctly.  I had focused on a novel, which students completed.  I assigned an  essay about the symbolism of sacrifice. We had good, meaty discussions. But, I was suppose to be assigning an IB Paper 1 for in class completion and grade, plus an IB Oral in class for a grade. My oversight.  On the course syllabus.  It passed over my eyes in August, when I was trying to get my visa and get here. So, I'm scrambling now to accomplish these "assessment practices" which count as a significant grade in my class before term ends. 

My 12th graders will be doing a Practice Individual Oral this week (only 4 minutes).  Then in the next weeks they will do a full Mock IO.  And practically within the same week they will take their term exam which is another Paper 1.  And the wheels keep turning. 

I want to end this on a positive.  I have had help.  My department head took the time to explain some of the testing that happens at Enka and why.  The other IB teachers, have been kind and helpful in setting me on the Enka course. Do I understand the course?  No, not entirely.  Do I agree with the course?  Time will tell.  I read some utterly amazing writing this week.  Students, whose 2nd language is English, analyzing a eulogy given at Gandhi's funeral.  And Americans wonder why our students are behind other students!  Turkish students are tested and practice tested over and over again.  Are they happy?  Are they well-adjusted?  I just started interacting with the 12th graders face-to-face.  So, I'll find out.

Comments

  1. I wonder how there public schools are run. I mean private schools in America try to advertise better education for kids. That's why people are willing to pay crazy tuitions for there kids to get the best education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read your blog again this morning two things struck me. First, I can honestly say I know no one better prepared to meet the challenges of this rigorous instruction, so I’m confident your students couldn’t be in better hands. My other thought - you and your students are doing this while you, they and the whole world are struggling with the challenges of COVID. So, no matter what, meeting every day’s challenge, however perfectly or imperfectly, is a success.
    On a personal note, I love reading your blogs & vicariously sharing a little in your experience!😊 Take care of yourself.🤗

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Precious White Slip of Paper & Angels at the Airport

Turkish Students and On Line Teaching

Farewell ENKA teachers