The little things

     I love and appreciate the little things I'm learning about culture.  Did you know in Turkey you can go in a restaurant, be seated and stay there as long as you like.  No one will hover.  No one will suggest you might like dessert.  There is absolutely no pressure to leave.  You can sit and sip Turkish coffee until they close I guess.(I'll never stay up long enough to test it out.) And my son-in-law Kevin would love this...no one bothers you.  In fact, you have to gesture to a waiter when you are ready to order, or if you want more water, or another glass of wine.  Some Americans would see this as "bad service," but the Turks see it as welcoming.  You're here in my restaurant, stay as long as you like.  Also, their wait staff does not expect to be tipped.  (I always do - American habit)  But, they are always pleasant and hurry when you indicate you need something.  

    I can find very little in the stores that indicate "low-sugar" or "sugar-free" or "diet" anything.  I guess there's no market for this?  Turkish people are health conscious.  My Turkish colleagues talk about exercising, avoiding sweets etc.  Their body shapes are much like Americans, which I mean varied. Some are hefty, some are thin, some are toned from work-outs, some just plain average. I think Americans just buy in to the easy "fixes" which diet foods sell.  

   And like diet foods, I find no "caffeine-free" products.  Can't figure what that's all about.  They do love their caffeine, since everyone loves coffee and drink plenty.  I wonder if there are more heart conditions and high blood pressure here or if the caffeine-free is again a marketing ploy we fall for in America.

   There is no Uber in Istanbul.  Evidentially when Uber tried to come here, the city supported the taxi drivers.  I am amazed how fast I can get a taxi.  I can usually flag one down, but if I'm not in a populated area, I can use an app which calls for a nearby taxi to pick me up.  The convenience is great.  

   Actually, I've been here two months and I'm finding the similarities more prevalent than the differences.  But I'll keep you abreast of both likes and differences in my blog. 

Comments

  1. Sounds a lot like our experiences when we lived in Germany.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Precious White Slip of Paper & Angels at the Airport

Turkish Students and On Line Teaching

Farewell ENKA teachers