Enka School Istanbul - Made it in!

       I finally made it to the doors of Enka School Istanbul!  The environment of the school met my expectations and beyond!  The school is sprawling, set on green grounds along a hill.  This hill is accommodated by constructing various buildings on these levels.  For example, the pre-school is set higher than the main school.  Since this school was built as part of a sports complex, the fields and courts are on various levels too.  Need tennis courts?  Level out the hill and build the tennis court.  All around are trees, grassy patches, benches and statuary.  I haven't had the chance to walk much of  the grounds, but see it from a car each morning.

     The main building has 3 floors (I think!) and in parts of the building there are sublevels!  I've talked with faculty who've been here several years and they shake their heads saying, "I still get lost." But, in a week's time I've found the English Department office, all the classrooms where I do my online classes, the library, cafeteria, the IT office, and the offices of the HR department where I found the smiling faces of those who guided me through the process of getting here!  The halls are spacious - architects actually planned for bodies to move through!  Classrooms are modest size, and done in cheerful colors of green, peach, yellow, blue - not the standard grey or eggshell.  I do not have my own classroom.  I'm not sure how that is going to work out when students arrive.(Our 12th grades will be returning in October.)  I do have a "home base" desk in the English department room.  When it's time to teach, I just gather my things, and head to my designated classroom.

     There are coffee machines throughout the hallways for teachers!  These wonders will dispense an expresso, coffee, chai, tea at the push of a button.  Free to all staff.  I found this to be remarkable.  I have been asked a couple of times if I need supplies.  They will order for me a small rolling file cabinet if I need it.  (Really?)  Students have purchased their books - which they annotate as we read and study - and there are extra books if I need.  The technology department urges me to return if I have any problems.  Lunch is provided for all faculty and staff.  There is a health office in the school where I went this week for a required evaluation.  A charming, retired military doctor who has worked for Enka 11 years, took my medical history, BP and temperature.  This week I had my second Covid test.  Some of the teachers grumbled about taking yet another test.  But, how many times have I heard doctors in American say testing is essential to stop the virus? So, I'm happy to have it done. How else will we know if faculty or staff  are asymptomatic?  Yes. Enka School is remarkable.

Maybe I will return to write another blog tomorrow. But, alas, today is Saturday and I have grading to do!

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious White Slip of Paper & Angels at the Airport

Turkish Students and On Line Teaching

Farewell ENKA teachers