Appliance Headaches

 There is so much you don't expect when in a new country.   I have these modern Miele appliances in my apartment. They are German and for lack of a better word - sophisticated.  I used the stove after I googled how to turn it on.  The washing machine was a real challenge.  I watched several You Tube videos of how to operate, and used my Google Translate app to read the dials.  The first load I did I believe took 3 hours to run through!  Then, I found a short cycle and I'm never leaving it, no matter what I wash.  I'm just not that picky!

I find it odd - but I am American - that dryers are a rarity in Turkey.  Especially in apartments.  This washer is supposed to "dry" as well.  What comes out is a steaming damp garment.  It's not helpful. But, my apartment came with a nice functional drying rack and I was actually surprised twithin a day most everything was dry.  

I have a Miele dishwasher, but I'm not going to attempt!  I'm perfectly satisfied washing the few dishes I have by hand thank you very much!

This morning I brought out the ironing board and the Tefal iron from the closet.  Oh good!  I thought.  I own a Tefal iron. (It's French)  This will be a cinch!  After plugging in to 3 outlets and googling how to turn it on n (you just plug in), I am decided my iron is broken.  Do I trust my decision?  No.  I will wait a day and keep trying before notifying my property company, aka landlords,  I need a new one.

Yesterday, I got out the sweeper and surprise it's a Phillips!  American.  I worked it in no time.



Comments

  1. So funny, outwitted by a dishwasher! I would be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderfully provisioned apartment. You're lucky. The US, I believe, has the only 'fast' washing machines in the world. Getting use to slow and thorough can be a royal pain. Line drying is so much better for your clothes, tho' sheets can be tricky.
    When you find a part-time housekeeper, she'll know how to run the dishwasher, most likely, and the iron.
    Sounds like Google is your best Turkish friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Precious White Slip of Paper & Angels at the Airport

Turkish Students and On Line Teaching

Farewell ENKA teachers