A walk to the bank

 I haven’t been in Turkey a week and I’m getting braver.  So many have advised me to be careful and I am.  But I have felt more uncomfortable with my surroundings in New York City than in Istanbul.

I’ll spare all the details of why, but I had to find my bank today.  Enka School did the preliminary set up, but I had to go to the bank to finalize the account.  As soon as I finished my last class, I set Google Maps and took off.  Google Maps said it was a 9 minute walk.  It didn’t mention it was all uphill!  I follow my map and it leads me right to the wrong bank!  I put my phone away and just started asking. I pointed to the name of the bank on my phone and watched as Turkish residents waved their arms in the direction I needed to go.  Slowly, breathlessly I made it!

I was so proud of myself, I decided to do  a little shopping.  Found an office supply store...I can’t believe they don’t have colored folders in Istanbul! Then I stopped by a cute little market near my apartment—their fish display is like nothing I’ve ever seen!! At this small market you have to pay to use a cart!  So I load up my arms with cheese, salt, pepper, cookies, and something I think is cream.  Next stop.  A beauty salon I passed on my way to the bank. 

I went in the salon to check whether I needed an appointment.  I met Burak.  He knew no English!  But through the marvel of Google translate, he took me right away!  And he cut my hair.  Short.  I use to wear it this short, but haven’t for a while.  I’m brave about this change.  And I bravely went back to my apartment and ordered what I now  know is called “pide”- a pita bread pizza.  So good!!



Comments

  1. You’re one brave lady! I love your spirit of adventure. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pide is good. Lahmacun is better. Turkish food is sheer delight. It grows the best tomatoes in the world. Brave, yes, but mostly just a willingness to not know, embrace that and rely on the kindness of strangers. Turks have kindness in abundance. I had to do all our banking in Turkish, one of the reasons I decided to embrace the language. I am terrible at languages, but I loved studying Turkish and its crazy string-togethers, and all the delightful expressions of courtesy and respect.
    For me, the very best part of any move was the not knowing, the figuring out, the discovery. Love that challenge, and all the stories it creates.
    ['moimoi' is Susan Ritter.]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Precious White Slip of Paper & Angels at the Airport

Turkish Students and On Line Teaching

Farewell ENKA teachers